Let’s talk FAFSA

Senior%2C+Anastasia+OLooney%2C+sits+and+works+on+her+application.+

Maura

Senior, Anastasia O’Looney, sits and works on her application.

GNA CAMPUS – Let’s talk FAFSA: Federal Student Aid is an immense provider of financial aid for college in the U.S. Although it may seem daunting coming into your senior year, it is a student’s responsibility to take advantage of these aid opportunities.

The FAFSA has been open since October 1, 2022, and many students aren’t even sure where to begin. The GNA Insider has found some of the most reliable students in the class of 2023 to ask our college and career advisor, Ms. Nin, some questions that students may have about the FAFSA. Below are the following:

Seniors Questions:

Atticus Warren-Minnick 

What does the acronym FAFSA actually stand for?

“It is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.”

Nicholas Neipert:

Who can apply/who is the FAFSA for?

“Students that have financial need is who the FASFA is for. You can submit the FASFA despite your family’s income, but that does not guarantee you’ll receive full aid.” 

Annastasia O’Looney:

How do I apply for the FAFSA?

“First you need to create an FSA ID. This is the username and password to your FASFA account. You can create that at studentaid.gov. The username and password take 1-3 days to verify, then you’re able to apply.”

Nick Neipert: 

Do I have to do the FAFSA?

“No one is required to do anything, but it is highly advised. The FAFSA is tied in with a lot of the aid you can get. For example, filling out the FAFSA is the only requirement for filling out the PA State Grant Form. It’s how you get federal loans, how you would qualify for the Pell Grant and that encompasses most of the government aid a student can get.” 

How does the FAFSA work/what is required for the FAFSA?

“The 2023-2024 FAFSA uses your family’s tax information from 2021 in order to decide your Estimated Family Contribution Number (EFC). That number is what colleges, universities, and trade schools use to determine how much financial aid you need. This will then dictate how much aid you will receive from the FAFSA.”

A good opportunity to learn more about the FAFSA will be during Career and College Readiness week. Wednesday, October 26, 2022, is titled “FAFSA Question and FSA ID Creation Day.” Here you can learn more about the FAFSA in-depth and even start the process with the help of Ms. Nin. 

Remember, financial aid will only help students in the college application process. Questions regarding the FAFSA or other college-related questions, should be directed to visit Ms. Nin. Her new office is located upstairs, above the library, in the main hallway by room 201. Appointments can either be made via the GNA College and Career Instagram or by scanning the QR codes found on the guidance windows, Ms. Nin’s door, and inside of her room.