Upward Bound

Giving young people an opportunity to succeed

GNA CAMPUS: Upward Bound is a program that gives young people the opportunity to succeed in high school and prepare for college. The program has been held at Wilkes University since 1967.

As part of the program, students will come to the Wilkes University campus one evening per week during the summer to attend two Academic classes and receive guidance and counseling services. Students are enrolled in classes such as mathematics, reading, history, composition, Spanish, and science. They also can explore future career goals and begin to form college plans.

The course selected for each student is based on the academic schedule they have in their home school. In addition to weekly classes, Upward Bound has an ongoing tutoring program at no cost to the student. Most of the tutors are upper-class students enrolled at Wilkes University. Current students in need of a tutor are asked to contact our Academic Coordinator. Tutoring takes place in Conyngham Hall on the first floor. Days are Monday through Thursday, and times are from 4:00 to 6:00 p.m.

How they help students:

The programs help students choose a college and complete applications, tutor, help with financial and career counseling, provide workplace and college visits, give special instruction in reading, writing, study skills, and mathematics, help to apply for financial aid, and giving academic assistance in high school or college situations.

To be eligible for acceptance into Upward Bound, you must meet the following minimum requirements:

• Show academic promise and enthusiasm toward learning.
  • Be in the 10th grade in high school.
  • Live in Luzerne County.
  • Meet certain educational and economic criteria set by the US Department of Education.

For more information on Upward Bound please contact Wilkes University or visit our guidance office.