Good Morning, GNA!

Get to know the staff of the elementary school broadcast Good Morning, GNA!

GNA CAMPUS — If I asked you what you remember most about being in middle school, you might talk about your friends. Others may talk about school and their accomplishments. Well for a hand-selected few, they would talk about being a part of Good Morning, GNA! 

Thanks to Mrs. Lukowski, The GNA Insider was granted permission to go behind the scenes and talk with the students who are involved with the production of Good Morning, GNA! Mrs. Lukowski was also gracious enough to sit down with The GNA Insider to discuss the elementary school broadcast.

The crew of Good Morning, GNA! (Alycia Knorr)

How did the idea for Good Morning GNA begin? 

Good Morning, GNA! started back in the early 2000s. Mrs. Cunningham, along with a retired teacher, were the first to run the program under Principal Dr. Scott. Then, Mrs. Labenski took over. The program was not running last year due to COVID, and Mrs. Labenski was ready to hand over the torch. That is when I decided it was something I wanted to take over.

Were the students excited for the opportunity to participate in this TV program? Why or why not?

When I brought the opportunity to the current fifth graders, I had a lot of students that were excited. However, due to not having the program last year, I think they forgot what it was all about. Now that we have it up and running, I think the whole school is excited each day to tune in. Next year, I think we will have a whole new group of kids excited to get behind the camera. 

What does this opportunity provide for your students? What lessons/skills are they learning as a result of participating in Good Morning GNA?

This opportunity provides students with an extracurricular activity that teaches them responsibility, public speaking, communication, and writing. For our camera crew, it is teaching them how to use technology as well. 

What is the most challenging aspect of hosting Good Morning GNA?

In the beginning, we had a lot of trouble with sound and recording equipment. Now that we have that all figured out, it is running rather smoothly. Ideally, a space for a recording studio would be nice, so we could expand our background and props. 

What is the most rewarding part about being involved in this production?  

The most rewarding part is seeing the success of these students as well as hearing the teachers say how enthusiastic their students are to watch it each day. 

Where do you see Good Morning GNA in the future?

Already in the few short months, we have had this running, we have added new things to our production. As I said, I would love to see us have our own space to be able to add backdrops or even use a green screen. I would also love to have an editing program that the students could run and edit the videos. I hope to keep this opportunity available as long as we can! 

The GNA Insider also interviewed a few of the students involved to help us learn a little more about the production process of Good Morning GNA. 

Owen Dunlavey

News Anchor, Owen Dunlavey. (Maura Jenceleski)

How were you chosen to participate in the production of Good Morning GNA?

Mrs. Lukowski [Director] came into my 4th-grade classroom and handed us papers if we wanted to sign up. 

What is your role in the program? 

I am a News Anchor in the program.

What are your responsibilities within your role?

As a News Anchor, I have to be the person on the main camera and the one who reports the daily news. 

How do you feel about participating in this program?

I feel good

What is your favorite part of doing Good Morning GNA? Why? 

I get to do something that almost all of the kids in the school don’t. For example, on December 16th, I’m reading to kids in the K-2 building. 

Madison Falkowski

Special reporter, Madison Falkowski. (Maura Jenceleski)

The TV Crew needed additional special reporters, so I asked if I could join the team since I was interested in the program. 

What is your role in the program? 

I am a special news reporter, so I do reports on special things like upcoming holidays or events. 

My responsibilities include when I have a report I have to write the script myself, interview people, and record it. 

I love it because it makes me so happy. I think it’s really great that we have this program. 

I love seeing the hard work people put into the show and the finished product.

Aubrianna Rinus

Meteorologist, Aubrianna Rinus. (Maura Jenceleski)

Well, I was interested in doing this last year. I had to tell them what skills I have, why I would like to do this, and we had to have a parent say why we should be chosen. 

What is your role in the program? 

I am a meteorologist and special reporter. 

I tell the weather and report on people.

I feel fantastic about this program, and I love to do it. 

My favorite part is recording because we can tell people the cafeteria menu [lunch and breakfast], the attendance date, the “this day in history,” and special reports to let people know about something they need to know or something we want them to know. 

Alexis Duda

Meteorologist, Alexis Duda. (Maura Jenceleski)

I wanted to be in the program, so I filled out a form and then received the news that I got in. 

What is your role in the program? 

I am a meteorologist. 

I have to make sure that I report the weather. 

I like it because I get to spend time with my friends. It makes everyone happy when my mom, Mrs. Duda, and her third-grade class watch me. 

I like it because I get to spend time with my friends and I love doing it. 

Thank you to all of the students and Mrs. Lukowski for agreeing to sit down with The GNA Insider!!