Future stars

With spring right around the corner, many students are looking forward to the warm weather, which means finally getting outside. As winter comes to a close and the snow begins to thaw, student-athletes are eager to put on their cleats and hit the field. Sophomore Derek Cease and freshman Nick Matson are particularly excited about spring, as it means that the baseball season is finally here.

Cease and Matson are likely to be the Trojans’ future stars. Both Cease and Matson are a part of MVP Sports Academy in West Pittston, which, according to its website, is the largest sports training facility in Northeastern Pennsylvania. The organization provides elite facilities, with expert instruction in baseball, softball, strength and conditioning, and more. Its mission is to deliver “athletic-based training programs, expert coaching and the latest in sports training for all ages, all in a high-energy, motivating environment,” to “groom [athletes] into being all-stars on the field,” and to make them “upstanding member[s] of society off the field.”

As a sophomore and freshman, respectively, Cease and Matson are catching the eyes of many people. Cease recently competed in the 2018 Team Pennsylvania PBR Junior Future Games and ran a 6.59 60-yard dash, and showed impressive 93 mph arm strength across the diamond from his shortstop position, topping at 87 mph from the mound. Matson also stood out at the 2018 Team Pennsylvania PBR Junior Future Games, with a clean delivery and a feel for three pitches while sitting 80-82. He is a primary outfielder who also showed above-average barrel at the plate, demonstrating an 88 mph bat exit velocity.  

More information about the MVP program can be found at https://www.teammvptraining.com/