Safe to Say Something

Safe to Say Something (as launched on Jan.14, 2019) is a mobile app coming to many of Pennsylvania’s schools, including Greater Nanticoke Area, for both students and adults. The app teaches how to recognize and report at-risk behavior (in person or by an interactive video). Tips can be submitted through the app, website, or the 24/7 crisis hotline. All tips are triaged by certified crisis counselors and then returned to the school for the district to act upon. The school then investigates, assesses and intervenes (as needed) and closes the tip out to ensure all tips are reviewed and actioned.

Safe to Say Something teaches middle and high school youth how to recognize the warning signs and signals (esp. in social media) from individuals who may be a threat to both themselves or others. Those children, teens, and adults should then say something to a trusted adult, call 911, or use this anonymous reporting system app.

Canon-McMillan School District

According to www.wasd.org, Safe to Say Something acts as a three step process:

1. Youth or Adult Submit a Tip using App, Website, or Hotline.

2. Tips are Triaged, Categorized, and Delivered to the School Teams / Dispatch by the OAG Crisis Center.

3. School Team and/or Law Enforcement Assess and Intervene as Needed.

In the upcoming years S2SS will be embedded into existing school clubs or establish a new club. If an individual were to abuse S2SS or break a law, then the school district can request a court order to try and uncover anonymity (and possibly arrest the individual).

The overall impact and benefits of Safe to Say Something will educate many individuals to easily recognize signs and signals whenever a possible threat is recognized. It will make schooling environments safer and healthier, and will encourage more students to seek this or any other form of help whenever a certain student feels threatened. It can even be utilized to report addiction problems, eating disorders, and bullying. S2SS helps those who experience a hard time talking to someone directly by allowing these individuals to send a anonymous tip.

Download this new app to your phone today, and submit tips anytime you believe there to be a possible threat in your school. The threat can be easily taken down, and your name will not be revealed in the process. Do not use S2SS as a joke, because it is not. Just remember to think before submitting a tip, because if you spread a tip to get out of school or gain popularity, then you may be arrested. All tragedies are preventable, and by doing your part can save the lives!