The Empty Bowls Fundraiser

Under the guidance of the high school art teacher Mrs. Rubel, Greater Nanticoke Area is officially sponsoring the Empty Bowls Fundraiser on November 4 of this year, in an effort to raise funds to combat hunger in both our community and around the world.

The main event of the Empty Bowls Fundraiser will consist of a grand supper, whereby guests will be able to select a soup (which they may keep for themselves) and fill them with soup. They will then sit with other guests, enjoy their meals, and learn about the manner in which their donations help to fill the truly empty bowls of the less fortunate people around the globe. This will help accomplish the project’s core goal—to “raise funds for local food charities and educate people around issues of poverty and hunger in their community.”

According to thekitchn.com, the Empty Bowls Fundraiser first started in the early 1990s, “when Lisa Blackburn and John Hartom decided to do something to counteract the negative news around hunger and poverty in their area.” In order to achieve this goal, Hartom—a high school teacher at the time—offered his students a challenge: to throw 120 bowls and sell each for $5, as a means of raising anti-hunger funds. This first Empty Bowls Fundraiser took place in their high school cafeteria; however, people around the country and the world soon noted the success and importance of the project, and began to recreate it across the globe.

The Empty Bowls Fundraiser will be held on November 4 in the Greater Nanticoke Area Educational Center, from 11:30 to 2 p.m. Participants are asked for a $15 donation in exchange for homemade bowl (provided by Wilkes University’s pottery studio), a serving of soup (provided by the R-Bar), bread, and a drink. In addition, children under 12 can enjoy soup, bread, and a drink for $5.

Mrs. Rubel agreed to comment on the Empty Bowls Fundraiser:

Why did you decide to get involved in The Empty Bowls Fundraiser?

• I love the idea of artisans helping the community.

What are some of your goals that you hope to achieve by participating in The Empty Bowls Fundraiser?

• To get as many students involved, and help them realize how powerful they can be.

What do you enjoy the most about participating in the fundraiser?

• I enjoy how willing and excited students are to help others.