Pennsylvania’s Junior Academy of Science

A professional science community for students
Pennsylvanias Junior Academy of Science

Pennsylvania’s Junior Academy of Science is a state-wide non-profit organization aimed to promote scientific exploration in students of various ages. The program is divided into 12 regions across Pennsylvania state with Luzerne County being part of PJAS Region 2. 

HISTORY

In the 1930s, the American Association for the Advancement of Science elected a national official to oversee the coordination of many state Junior Academy of Sciences. Soon after, the Pennsylvania Academy of Science utilized this foundation to begin to establish a junior academy. In 1934, a constitution for the PJAS organization was approved and participation grew from 14 schools to around 551. PJAS has a State Director, Secretary, and two Treasurers, among other important committees who continue to push forth greater influence for scientific intrigue in the youth of Pennsylvania.

PROCESS

Pennsylvania’s Junior Academy of Science functions at both a regional and state level, with the regional competitions being hosted by individual regions at their chosen location, and the state competition being held at the Penn State main campus in Centre County, Pennsylvania. Students from grades seven through twelve are welcomed and are expected to conduct their own independent research while supervised by their sponsor or school mentor. Each participant will then formulate a presentation based on their experiment, data, and conclusions, which will be shared with a collection of participants in the same field and qualified scientific judges. Competing students will receive an award based on a point scoring system, from 1st to 3rd place awards, and even a possible “Perfect Score” award. Students who receive 1st awards at a regional level with advance to the state competition. At both conferences, participants will have the opportunity to win scholarships and internship opportunities, which become more common the older the participants are. 

IMPORTANT DATES FOR 2024

Region 2 Registration Deadline: February 1, 2024

Project Upload Deadline: February 21, 2024

Regional Meeting: March 2, 2024

Snow Date for Regional Meeting: March 9, 2024

PJAS State Meeting: May 19, 20, and 21, 2024

PJAS AT GNA

At Greater Nanticoke Area, there remains a small number of active PJAS participants from what was formerly a robust collection of well over 30 students. Pennsylvania’s Junior Academy of Science is a highly beneficial and unique scientific opportunity that more students should take advantage of. If you would like more information on PJAS, visit their website, and if you are interested in registering for the competition, see the region 2 registration site

https://www.pjas.net/