Getting to know our staff: Lucia Villafranca (Student Teacher)

Student+teacher%2C+Ms.+Villafranca%2C+teaching+a+1st+period+class.+

Student teacher, Ms. Villafranca, teaching a 1st period class.

GNA CAMPUS- Ms. Villafranca is a new student teacher here at Greater Nanticoke Area High School. She specializes in English and works in Mrs. Burns’ classroom. Her teaching is already inspiring students here on the GNA campus.

Ms. Villafranca kindly agreed to sit down with The GNA Insider and tell us some more about herself and her journey toward becoming a teacher.

How did you first become interested in teaching? 

I became interested in teaching when I was a senior in high school. I was unsure of what I wanted my career to be, so I reflected on my strengths and weaknesses. Being a teacher fit my personality so well that I decided to take the path of education. 

What subject(s) are you interested in teaching? 

English and ESL 

What college do you attend? 

Kings College

What are you majoring in? 

I have my bachelors in English and a minor in Women’s studies. 

How do you view education differently from when you were a high school student? 

I always appreciated education because of my background. I was born in Honduras and education opportunities were limited. I was grateful for being able to receive an education in the U.S. My point of view on education is that it is a resource that should be utilized more because it could change one’s life. I found a deeper respect for the education system and my past teachers during my journey of becoming a teacher. 

Is teaching what you expected it to be? 

It’s more than what I expected. The preparation that goes behind each lesson requires a lot of effort and critical thinking. You have to juggle multiple tasks all at once. The behind-the-scenes is jammed packed with numerous elements and I am navigating this for the first time. With that being said, I’m thankful for the support I receive from GNA faculty. 

Who are you a student teacher for? 

Mrs. Burns.

What is your teaching philosophy? 

My teaching philosophy is that with the right guidance, anyone can achieve their potential. The strategies I use to reach this goal are utilizing a collaborative environment, meaningful discussions, and modern materials. 

What do you like most about teaching so far? What do you like least? 

What I like the most about teaching so far is teaching the students. There is no greater feeling than a teacher’s lesson impacting the mind of the youth. My least favorite aspect of teaching is the early mornings. I enjoy my sleep, but this profession is worth the sacrifice.

Do you have any advice for students who are thinking about entering the teaching profession? 

The path to becoming a teacher is a challenging but rewarding one. You learn how to adapt to situations that are constantly changing. You have to put in effort into this career. There are moments when you will be stressed, but all of that goes away when you stand in front of a classroom. Teaching is not meant for all, but those who are have to be determined individuals.