GNA gives back for the holidays

The PBIS team and life skills class enjoy some holiday shopping before winter break

Andrea Kordek

A group of students pose for a picture beside a workshop table.

GNA CAMPUS – The Educational Center PBIS team held a Santa Secret Workshop event. Students had the opportunity to purchase gifts for family/friends using “money” (T bucks) earned by positive/appropriate behavior.

Students shop for their presents using their “t-bucks.” (Andrea Kordek)

Staff members at GNA were asked to donate knick-knacks, chachkies, photo frames, coffee mugs, or anything they could find at their house. This was a perfect opportunity to de-clutter while helping the PBIS team spread holiday cheer!

One of the staff members involved, Ms. Kordek was kind enough to answer some questions regarding the event. Here’s what she had to say: 

Has this event happened before?  

No, this is our first time (to my knowledge) holding an event like this. 

How did the event turn out? Were the donations enough? 

The turnout was better than we could have imagined. We received an incredible amount of donations and support from our GNA community as well as friends and family.

Toys, clothing, and other little items line a workshop table. (Andrea Kordek)

Did the students seem to enjoy the event? 

The Holiday Workshop ran until December 22nd. Students have been excited for the opportunity to buy gifts for their friends and family and we’re fortunate to have a wide variety of items to meet everyone’s gifting needs. It has definitely been an all-around positive experience for students in the Ed Center. Students shop at The Holiday Workshop using “t-bucks” which is a form of currency rewarded throughout the school for positive and appropriate behavior. Doing this gives all students an equal opportunity to enjoy the event.

Will you continue this event in the future? 

We hope to continue hosting this event and others that are similar to our students. Our hope is that if we remain consistent in our efforts we can make a positive impact on student behavior and the overall atmosphere of the school. 

While this was going on in the Educational Center, another similar event was taking place in the GNA High School. Students in the High School Life Skills class had the opportunity to get presents for their families and wrap them all in one. 

When asked questions about this event, Ms. Dennis had this to say:

Has this event happened before?

This is the first year for this event. We normally go into the community on a regular basis but with COVID we can’t do it.

The event went well. The students had a great time shopping and wrapping their gifts. This was not a fundraising event, so there were no donations. This event was held to give the students an opportunity to shop for presents for their families. 

We had high school students volunteer to help with this event to work with our kids. They all had a chance to make some new friends.

We will absolutely do this event again next year and we hope to host more events like this. 

Following Ms. Dennis, students who participated in the high school event kindly agreed to answer more questions about the time they had. 

Nick Perry 

Did you enjoy your time at the event? 

Oh yes! 

Do you want to do this workshop again in the future? 

Yes. 

What was your favorite part about the event? Why? 

Wrapping gifts. 

Omarie Gibson

Did you enjoy your time at the event? 

Yes.

I guess. 

Toys!

Dana Stachyra

Did you enjoy your time at the event? 

Yes. 

Yes. 

Presents!

Thank you to everyone who participated in the event and helped with providing gifts. GNA really knows how to give back and cherish the holidays throughout the school.