GNA students attend Junior Leadership of Wilkes-Barre

Junior Leadership of Wilkes-Barre is a community-driven program that helps juniors in high school learn valuable leadership skills

The+2021-2022+JLWB+Class+at+Kirby+Park+for+orientation.+

The 2021-2022 JLWB Class at Kirby Park for orientation.

GNA CAMPUS – The Junior Leadership applications have been reviewed and the applicants have been chosen. Three students from the high school were selected for the program. 

Junior Leadership of Wilkes-Barre is a community-driven program that helps juniors in high school learn valuable leadership skills to help them in their futures. It began in 1987 and has been successfully teaching students how to be active within their community. 

The GNA Insider had the honor to sit down with these three students and get their take on the 2021-2022 program year. 

Jamee Mazonis 

What inspired you to apply for this year’s Junior Leadership program? 

Jamee Mazonis, GNA Junior

I wanted to get out of my comfort zone. I also think it’s a great opportunity to get to know new people from across NEPA.

How would you describe this year’s interview process? 

Personally, I was really nervous about the interview. But all the interviewers were nice and I think they asked great questions that really made me think. 

What types of projects do you hope to see done this year? 

I really hope to see some environmental projects done this year. The whole world and especially in this area there is so much littering and pollution that needs to be stopped. I would also like to see some projects tackling the poverty around us.  

Any words of advice for other students who may want to apply for this program in the coming years?  

It is definitely worth it. I was really nervous on the first day, but it was actually really fun and everyone was really nice.

Maura Jenceleski

Maura Jenceleski, GNA Junior

My brother was a graduating student of the program and seeing how special it was, it really drove me to apply as well. It teaches useful leadership skills, as well as learning how to work as a team. 

This year’s interview process was a little harder than I expected. It took a lot of motivation and thought to produce the answers I thought would sound the most honest. Fortunately, the staff of the program thought they were good enough to be accepted. 

The whole point of Junior Leadership is to learn proper leadership skills and work to better the cities that each individual student resides in. There’s a list of organizations, charities, and benefits that we students will get to choose from. I hope to see projects that genuinely help and benefit the community. I would personally like to work with minority groups if that’s available. Either way, I’ll look forward to working hard and improving our communities. 

If you’re ever feeling hesitant about applying or you don’t think you’ll make it very far in the process, just do it. That sounds really cliche, but it’s serious. You will meet so many new people who may even become your lifelong friends. Not to mention you’re working hard to better your community and create a positive environment for generations to come! 

Sophia Lukowski 

Sophia Lukowski, GNA Junior

Once I researched what junior leadership was about and the amazing projects they start I knew I wanted to be a part of it. I loved the idea of collaborating with kids from different schools to reach a final end goal of helping someone or a group of people. 

Although I thought covid would have an effect on the interview process, JLWB did everything to ensure applicants were safe and continued to reassure us of that. Throughout the proceedings, I met many people who were so passionate about their interests and I felt I was able to relate to them so easily because we shared that common trait. Although I was nervous at times, everyone I met and talked to was so supportive and fast to offer their help. 

I don’t have a set idea of what kind of projects specifically I want to see yet, however, I’m sure whatever the amazing members of JLWB come up with will be spectacular. 

APPLY! APPLY! APPLY! You will not regret doing it, the people I’ve met so far and the upcoming events that are planned have done nothing else but exceeded my expectations. I don’t feel that this program will do anything but benefit a person.