Students react to the 2020 presidential election

GNA CAMPUS – The power of government is gifted to individuals who exhibit abilities to lead, maintain liberty, and secure justice.

This November, the citizens of the United States of America and other worldwide spectators witnessed one of the most stressful elections in history. Both Democrats and Republicans were fueled by the emotions they felt from the past four years under the Trump administration, taking it to the polls in such grand numbers. While their motives and ideals might land on opposite sides of the spectrum, they were united as citizens; sharing the anxiety while waiting for the results of each state to become public.

Media sources created personalized projections for who they believed would win – each of these were far from the same. The election was in the air and the possibilities were endless. The electronic screens broadcasted on news outlets depicted the shape of the United States, slowly changing into shades of blue and red, state by state.

Ultimately, the democratic nominee Joe Biden earned 306 of the 538 total electoral votes from the 50 states. While absentee ballots and additional votes are continuing to be calculated, Joe Biden claimed victory, having surpassed his republican adversary Donald Trump immensely and earning more than the minimum 270 electoral votes needed to win.

Although the verdict has already been declared, everyone has their own opinion on the outcome. The GNA Insider took a quick minute to ask a few students their opinion on the 2020 Presidential Election. Here’s what the young minds of GNA had to tell us:

Rebecca Ottensmen, Senior

Who were you hoping to win?

Donald Trump.

What was your reaction to the outcome of the election?

I am okay with the outcome, both candidates had some great and terrible points. I am hoping it brings the country together as one.

Maura Jenceleski, Sophomore

Who were you hoping to win?

Joe Biden.

I was very very relieved.

Brandon Appenzeller, Senior

Who were you hoping to win?

Donald Trump.

I was surprised by the outcome because I didn’t know so many people were for — Joe Biden across our country. I wasn’t expecting Trump to lose by such a huge “blowout” considering how many people were for him.

Atticus Warren Minnick, Sophomore

Who were you hoping to win?

Joe Biden.

I thought the election was going to be closer than it ended up being, but I could have seen it going either way.

Maya Davidson, Junior

Who were you hoping to win?

Joe Biden.

I felt relieved and really hopeful for the future. It restored my faith in our country in a sense, and it felt like things could start getting back on track.

In January, former vice president, Joe Biden, the Democratic nominee, will be inaugurated as the 46th president of the United States. This election, in particular, made history as Biden’s vice president, Kamala Harris is the first woman, African American, and Asian American to be elected as vice president.