Junior Leadership Wilkes-Barre

Interested students can pick up an application in the guidance office

WILKES-BARRE – Junior Leadership Wilkes-Barre (JLWB) is a transformative personal and professional leadership development program for high school juniors that provides training techniques to advance leadership skills while increasing community awareness and a civic responsibility to affect positive change.

The program began in the 1987 school year, and is one of six programs offered by Leadership Wilkes-Barre, whose mission is to develop leaders for the community. JLWB is guided by a Program Director and an Advisory Board that is made up of a cross-section of community leaders and student graduates of the program. The program has the support of 18 Northeastern Pennsylvania high schools, PSEA, local colleges and universities, as well as numerous corporations and individuals throughout the community.

Junior Leadership Wilkes-Barre offers students the opportunity to work with adult leaders in their community through day-long programs held over a nine-month period. These sessions focus on leadership skills, entrepreneurship, communication skills, team development, citizenship/government, media/communications, community issues, community service, and emotional intelligence, among others. This in-depth curriculum acquaints participants with community needs, opportunities, challenges and resources.

PROGRAM OBJECTIVES:

The principal objectives of JLWB are to:

•  Encourage students to recognize their own potential and develop their leadership skills.
  •  Acquaint students with community needs, resources and other factors that influence the direction of
    Northeastern Pennsylvania.
  • Provide opportunities for a diverse group of students to interact with each other and with community leaders and decision-makers.
  • Foster student interest in volunteerism and community service.

PROGRAM STRUCTURE:

• JLWB programs for the Class of 2021 will take place monthly from September, 2020 through April, 2021.
    School attendance credit will be granted for each session attended. Participants will receive a Program
    Calendar upon acceptance for scheduling purposes. Most program days begin at 8am and end by 3:30pm.
  • Programs will be held at various locations throughout Luzerne County. Transportation is the responsibility
    of the participant.
  •  Breakfast and lunch will be provided at every program, unless otherwise specified.
  • Participants complete a Community Service Project and will be required to attend project meetings outside of scheduled program times.

ELIGIBILITY
Students from all public, parochial, charter, and private schools in Northeast Pennsylvania who will be entering
their junior year in the fall of 2020 are eligible.

APPLICATION PROCEDURE

•  Complete the application and submit it with a $20 fee (check or money order) according to the
    directions of your Guidance Counselor or Student Activities Director. Check or money order should be
    made payable to “Leadership Wilkes-Barre.”
  • Submit TWO Student Leadership Assessments: Must be completed by two adults (other than your
    parent or relative) who have known you for more than one year. At least one reference MUST be from a
    high school teacher. Please use the attached Assessment forms, which can also be found online.
  • The application deadline is Thursday, March 5, 2020. *Check with your guidance department to
    find out if an internal deadline has been set.
  •  Only the first 20 completed applications (including Assessments and the $20 processing fee) received
    from each school by the established deadline will be eligible for consideration.

SELECTION:
Criteria:

• A complete, typed application received by the deadline (points will be deducted for late or incomplete
    applications).
  • An expressed interest in understanding and serving the community.
  •  Enthusiasm and commitment to participate in the program.
  •  Demonstrated or potential leadership ability.
    Process:
  • Using the selection criteria, the JLWB Selection Committee will review and score the first 20 completed
    applications received from each school.
  •  Written application finalists will be invited to a group interview with the JLWB Selection Committee in
    April, 2020.
  • Scores from written applications and group interviews are totaled. Highest scores earn acceptance.
  • All applicants will be notified in writing of the Selection Committee’s decision by the end of April, 2020.

TIPS TO APPLICANTS:

• Applications must be typed (online applications can be found at www.leadershipwilkes-barre.org).
  •  All answers and essays are required to be on the application form (no attachments will be reviewed).
  • Please note that the essays are heavily weighted by the Selection Committee.

Questions and concerns should be directed to:

Jessica Cronauer, JLWB Program Director
4 Public Square, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18701
Phone: (570) 270-5323, Fax: (570) 970-7836

Applications are available at leadershipwilkes-barre.org. Submission deadline is 3/5/20.