Coach Yendrzeiwski new assistant at King’s

KING’S COLLEGE – Mr. Yendrzeiwski, an algebra teacher here at Nanticoke, is now the new assistant women’s basketball coach for the Lady Monarchs of King’s College.

Yendrzeiwski, formerly the head girls basketball coach for the Trojanettes, carried a very impressive record going  179-57 (.758) over his nine seasons of coaching at GNA. Yendrzeiwski was awarded Coach of the Year for four seasons while leading his teams to multiple state playoff appearances. 

The GNA Insider got the chance to sit down and speak with Coach Yendrzeiwski about his new role: 

What is your official job title as a coach for King’s? 

•  Assistant Women’s’ Basketball Coach

Is coaching college basketball similar to high school? In what ways?

• There are a few differences. For example, the 30-second shot clock forces players and coaches to adjust their strategy on both offense and defense. Also, for many teams, just about every player was either a 1,000 point scorer in high school or an all-star in their league so the skill level is really high. That being said, basketball is basketball and there are more similarities than differences. 

Do you ever miss coaching high school? 

• Usually, when a coach goes somewhere else at any level, he doesn’t have any direct contact with the place where he used to coach. For me, obviously that isn’t the case. I do miss the player-coach relationships here very much and some days are harder than others. That being said, I still get to talk hoops with some of the girls who I see in halls or are in my classes. Just like we always tell our alumni when they graduate, I will always be a part of the Trojanette family and will always support this truly special program.  

What is your favorite part about coaching in general?

•  The part I have always enjoyed the most about basketball is bringing a group of people with different backgrounds together to work towards a common goal and in the process become bigger than something other than just themselves. When that is done well, being part of a basketball team can be a very special experience. 

Is it more difficult time management wise, going from high school to college practices? 

•  I feel that it was more difficult managing my time as a head coach at the high school level than it is as an assistant at the college level. Yes, the time at practices and games are pretty much the same. However, a head coach has so many more responsibilities than an assistant and has to make so many decisions that it really takes over your life, especially during the season. In addition, the college schedule is much different during the holidays and the off-season so it has helped me achieve the balance that I wanted between working and family time.   

Do you enjoy the collegiate environment? 

•  I do. Coaching at the collegiate level is a new and exciting challenge for me. I get to practice every day in a gymnasium that I have many fond memories as a player and coach in high school. I work with a great coaching staff and I am constantly learning something new. At the same time, I bring something to the program that is valued by both the coaches and the players. Our players have welcomed and accepted me and I have a tremendous amount of respect for what they do as student-athletes. It really has been a great experience thus far!

Do you have any advice to give the high school girls basketball team or any aspiring coaches?

• To aspiring coaches, I would say be willing to learn new things and always put in the work. Watch tons of film, observe college team’s practices if you can, and pick the brain of coaches you already know and respect.
  • To our current athletes, I would say don’t underestimate the value of being a good teammate. I LOVED the picture in the paper a few weeks ago of our bench and how engaged they were in the game. People (and college coaches) notice and value this more than any point you score or rebound you secure. Always have good body language on the court, cheer for your teammates when you are not in the game, and stay together in good times and in bad. Continue to represent your family, school, and program well both on the court and in the classroom, as I know you do. This is the Trojanette way!