New class office election rules

As GNA’s upperclassmen (sophomores, juniors, and seniors) begin to campaign for class office elections for two weeks, each student must adhere to certain criteria to qualify for and maintain a candidacy.

The potential candidates must, as in prior years, obtain a signature in favor a petition, receive administrative approval, attain a class advisory signature, and collect at least 25 student signatures to be eligible for class office.

Once these requirements are met, participating candidates may then begin to hang specially approved posters and flyers throughout the school and create a speech with a minimum length of 2-3 minutes. The speeches will be delivered to the student body on May 30, with voting taking place on the following day.

New and revised requirements are as listed below:

1. All students running for class office must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 90.0.
  2. A student will not be permitted to run for class office if they had a failing course grade in any class during the current school year.
  3. A student will be denied the opportunity to run for office if he/she had more than (five) level I disciplinary infractions or any (one) or more level II or higher disciplinary infraction of school policy during the previous and current school year.
  4. A student can only hold ONE class office. A student cannot be a class officer/student council officer and hold an office of another student-run organization.
  5. The petitions of the prospective candidate for class office must be properly and entirely completed, filed, and approved. A student may sign only one petition for any one class office. Student signatures on these petitions must be of those students in the same class only.
  6. Failure to adhere to the rules and regulations of proper conduct will result in removal from class office as decided by the administrative review panel. The administrative review panel for class elections will consist of the class advisers, school principal, and assistant principal.
  7. All students running for class office must maintain respectable school attendance. Any students who had 10 or more unexcused absences may not run for any class office. In addition, any elected officer whose absences exceed 10 days may be suspended or removed from their elected positions.
  8. Class advisers maintain the right to remove and replace any elected official who fails to perform the duties of their position.
  9. Cameron Valaitis