What GNA has to offer

The Greater Nanticoke Area School District is a public school district in Northeastern Pennsylvania, first founded in 1967. It consists of four schools, and serves the surrounding areas of Nanticoke, West Nanticoke, Plymouth, Wanamie, Glen Lyon, Mocanaqua, and Conyningham. It is home to about 200 teachers and faculty members, and, according to a 2013-2014 survey by the National Center for Education Statistics, more than 2,000 pupils. Greater Nanticoke Area’s goal here is, per its own statement, “to provide a quality education through shared responsibility in a safe and supportive environment for all students to meet the challenges of a global society.”

For students, Greater Nanticoke Area offers a wide variety of sports, such as. basketball, baseball, soccer, football, cheer leading, cross country, golf, volleyball, field hockey, track and field, and swimming.

Clubs, leadership programs, and other extracurricular activities at the school are also plentiful, consisting of the National Honor Society, the Spanish Honor Society and its Spanish Club, the French Honor Society and its French Club, the Art Club, Chess Club, Interact Club, marching band, theater, chorus, student council, and two free SAT preparatory classes.

With regard to its classes, Greater Nanticoke Area offers some general electives along with some unique electives; These include wood shop, journalism, creative writing, public speaking, art, career prep, physiology, fitness class, personal financing, musical theater foundations, music theory, computer programming, law studies, photography, Spanish, French, basic living skills, and the history of rock and roll, all of which offer unique experiences to participating students.

Greater Nanticoke Area’s uniqueness is further emphasized by the friendliness of faculty and staff members, who are in their own ways all responsible for enabling the schools to function and educate students efficiently and enjoyably. The amount of events occurring in the district at any given time makes the scene even more exciting, with sports, games, Foreign Language Week, gatherings like the Homecoming bonfire and the Spirit Games, field trips, and semi/prom occurring, individually or simultaneously, all throughout the school year.