• Megen Banas will be attending Misericordia University in Dallas, Pennsylvania.

• Taylor Zabrenski will be attending Wilkes University in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania.

• Brandon Murtha will be attending LCCC in Nanticoke, Pennsylvania.

• Hunter Yale will be attending LCCC in Nanticoke, Pennsylvania.

• Codi Hornlein will be attending Misericordia University in Dallas, Pennsylvania.

• Megan Murphy will be attending Misericordia University in Dallas, Pennsylvania.

• Katie Butczynski will be attending Misericordia University in Dallas, Pennsylvania.

• Miranda Bohn will be attending Misericordia University in Dallas, Pennsylvania.

• Aaron Miller was accepted to Emerson College in Boston, Massachusetts.

• Brandon Karavitch will be attending Tufts University in Boston, Massachusetts.

The dress code quarrel

Jackson Hogan

Jackson Hogan

Allison Williams, Student Writer

Many students across the nation are finding complications in school dress codes. Dress codes are a hot topic in the media, even claimed one of the most controversial in history. They vary school to school, depending on climate and social morals across the board. Students are fighting back, saying that dress code rules are setting a “double standard” and “disrupting education.” School dress codes are sparking interest in many people throughout the country, and I’m here to tell you why.

The double standard the dress codes are setting have upset female students. Schools are continuing to send students home for violations like leggings and crop tops, claiming they are “too distracting” for other students. There are even some restrictions to shirts below the collarbone and showing skin through ripped jeans. When a child is dismissed from the learning environment, it is a disruption to what they are really there for- an education.

Many females are genuinely offended by the inconsiderate mind of the schools behind the codes. Females are made to think and dress a certain way so they are not discriminated against. For example, a girl’s “bare shoulders” may be “too distracting.” However, many believe the answer may lie in teaching students to refrain from thinking lasciviously, and retraining the brain to think differently. It is becoming a complication, adding to rape culture and the influence of male dominance around the world.

Not only do dress codes send sexest messages and disrupt education for many students, they also may violate something a little more serious- a basic human right. We as human beings have basic rights that should not be taken away, such as the right to a fair trial, freedom from slavery, and most importantly, freedom of speech. Amy Guertin speaks out about the issue. “As the ACLU points out, a landmark case dating all the way back to 1969 actually upholds a students’ right to freedom of speech through what a student chooses to wear.”

School districts nationwide often argue that dress codes are difficult to enforce. Restrictions on religious garments add intense controversy into the mix.  Students have to fight to keep their religion as a form of expression, but this puts schools in a difficult position. Freedom of religion is a basic human right here in the U.S., and that is something that cannot be taken away.

Eric Kiefer

The basic goal for dress codes are to prepare students for the future with professional attire. Students have to be respected as an individual and be taken seriously in their profession. Every student eventually has to familiarize oneself with clothing that is appropriate and welcomed by the work environment- no matter what kind of job one may have.

The dress codes sending sexest messages may be the largest complication in this argument, schools that stand behind this claim may have a point. Schools argue that an exposed shoulder or cleavage can take away from other students education, causing an even larger problem. 

Dress Codes are a problem that we as society continue to challenge everyday. Schools everywhere are fighting back while the rest of the population exercises their first amendment right- freedom of speech.