GNA Success Stories – Amanda Madajewski Jimmerson

Get to know Amanda Madajewski Jimmerson

“Growing up, I had a natural athletic ability, and our program at GNA was not highly developed. As a result, I had a lot of confidence on the field. When I went on to university to play at a Division 1 program, that confidence was completely stripped away from me. That’s where my success story begins.

To provide some back story, as a college freshman, I was busting my ass to get noticed, all to find out my coaches were under the impression I was planning to red shirt. We had our Blue/White game during Parents’ Weekend and I played incredibly; I left the field with pride in hopes of seeing playing time throughout the season. A game came where everyone played but me. What a slap in the face that was—I didn’t play in one game that season.
Furthermore, prior to college, I was a 4.0 student, and due to the stress of the sport, my GPA dropped to a 2.6 my first semester. At that point, I realized field hockey and academics coexisting couldn’t work. As a result, I made the hardest decision after freshman year: I had to hang it up. After leaving my coach’s office the day I quit (man do I hate that word), I felt like a complete failure. That feeling quickly became my biggest fear, and I have been fighting it back ever since, truly using that feeling to fuel my fire to become someone I could be proud of. I honestly believe that how we react in our lowest moments defines who we are, and it’s those pivotal moments in our lives that actually ensure success.
As a result, I transitioned my focus from field hockey towards academics and made the Dean’s List every semester following that first one. Quitting field hockey ultimately grew me into a more well-rounded and humble person. Following graduation, I took control of my career, and was able to break into an industry most people do not understand or haven’t ever heard of. I have advanced with my company rather quickly and now sit in a leadership role that oversees a large team and manages some of the world’s largest brands.
Every day is a new learning experience for me. Failures are corrected and as a result, I become a more equipped leader, ready to drive innovation and results for my portfolio. Organization is key to being successful and understanding where I need to zoom in to support but also trust my team. I sit in an industry that is performance-based and correlates directly to my athletic mindset and challenges me to grow every day.
My number one struggle, I think, is Imposter Syndrome. I would say, maybe in the last year, I’ve gotten a lot better with the understanding I’m in the right position at the right time, and I’m here for a reason, so I need to give myself some grace. I would contribute Imposter Syndrome to what fueled me to elevate so quickly because I wanted to be better in the seat that I was in.
My company always encourages us to go out and do things to give back to the community in which we live. I donated my time to a women’s shelter, where we cleaned their living quarters. To see the way in which they lived—it gave serious perspective, and I realized that home is where you feel the safest.
In addition, I ride in the 65-mile Ben to the Shore Bike Tour each year, which benefits fallen first responders and their families. It’s one of my favorite charities to give back to, and it is an absolute privilege to cross that finish line, understanding why we are riding in the first place.
I think we need to realize that there is no such thing as reaching the top, but there is only so much time on this rock for us to continue to climb. Don’t waste that time talking about it. If it feels good, do it.”
Amanda Madajewski Jimmerson, 2009

Director, Affiliate & Partnership Marketing