Upward Bound

Upward+Bound

WILKES-BARRE – Upward Bound is a college preparation program at Wilkes University designed to prepare students for their lives after high school. They’re now recruiting college-bound high school sophomores in Luzerne County to join their program. Advisors from Upward Bound will be visiting GNA on October 19 to explain to eligible sophomores how they can become members.

Throughout the course of the program, Upward Bound offers many opportunities for students. These include academic courses, tutoring, SAT/ACT prep, college exploration, assistance with financial aid and college applications, and cultural college and educational field trips. Everything offered within the Upward Bound program is entirely free to the students, making it accessible to anyone interested in joining.

Upward Bound is designed for college-bound students from low-income families or first-generation college students. The program starts in 10th grade and lasts until senior year. The time commitment is only one night a week for a majority of a student’s time in the program. Rising juniors also spend one month of their summer staying on the Wilkes University campus and experiencing college life. This program forms leaders of their schools and communities by giving them a space to grow socially and academically.

At the October 19 meeting, students will be encouraged to engage with Upward Bound advisors and current students in the program. Advisors recommend that students “assess their commitment level to their goals” and “put effort in” to fully engage and benefit from everything Upward Bound has to offer. They’ll learn about the ways the program provides support, access, inspiration, and opportunities to students from all different backgrounds.

Are you a high school sophomore looking to prepare for College? Join Upward Bound today.