Introducing the 2022-2023 GNA Homecoming Court

For some, the picture-perfect homecoming might be a battle between rivaling football teams or possibly a formal dance for students. Here at Greater Nanticoke Area, it’s more than that; it’s a time for the student body to build connections over a shared sense of school spirit. The entire week leading up to the homecoming dance and football game encompasses many activities to build pride in being a part of GNA. 

As GNA moves forward towards a more post-COVID atmosphere, enthusiasm was at an all-time high. The traditional homecoming celebrations, along with the accompanying events like pep rallies, Spirit Week, and the fall barrel burn, have been at the highest level of success since 2019. GNA Spirit Week is a fun-filled week where the student community is brought together over a shared sense of school spirit through dressing up in creative, prompted ways. The pep rallies build energy and passion throughout the student body to create interest and excitement for the upcoming game. 

At the homecoming football game, Miss GNA and her homecoming court are announced, crowned, and celebrated as representatives of the student body. The homecoming court embodies the values of GNA as a whole, including integrity, passion, and school spirit. 

Meet the 2022-2023 Homecoming Court:

Photos by Andy
Shaylee Heffron (Photos by Andy)

Shaylee Heffron is the daughter of Pat and Holi Heffron and was escorted by Alex Fine as the 2022-2023 GNA Homecoming Queen. 

Shaylee was beyond excited to be announced as this year’s homecoming queen. “Being part of the homecoming court means so much to me.” She says, “It is such an honor to be able to experience this amazing event.” She believes that the homecoming court act as role models to other students and that, overall, homecoming is a great opportunity to connect with good friends. 

Throughout high school, Shaylee has participated in a number of extracurricular activities, including softball, basketball, and field hockey. She has been class vice president for 3 years and is a member of the National Honor Society. She’s also actively enrolled in dual enrollment classes at LCCC. 

Shaylee’s favorite memories from being at GNA are all events that bring the school community together. These include “going in the student section at many athletic events and participating in the spirit games.” She also loves that she’s been able to make good friends and bond with teachers.

Shaylee gets her inspiration from her parents, who support her through everything and encourage her to be a better person. She says that the best advice she ever received is to “Always be humble and kind,” and that genuinely reflects in Shaylee and her demeanor towards those around her. 

Friends and family mean a lot to Shaylee and will continue to take priority in her life as she moves forward, even beyond graduation. 

Kelly Grevera (Photos by Andy)

Kelly Grevera is the daughter of Lynne and Frank Grevera and was escorted by Jadon Guszak as part of the GNA 2022-2023 Homecoming Court. 

When she learned she was part of the court, she stated, “I was so ecstatic. I couldn’t believe my name was called.” She explained that her excitement was sparked by her own inspiration brought from homecoming courts’ past. “When I was younger, I looked up to the court, and now I get to be one of those role models.” She strives to be a leader and a role model for those who want to be on the court someday. “Being part of the court means I get to be a role model to younger students and the leader of my class,” she claims. 

Over several years, Kelly has been involved in many extracurricular activities. She’s been training for 12 years as a dancer at the David Blight School Of Dance, dances for the Wilkes University ballet program, and trains vocally at the Vocal Artistry Studios. She’s been training in singing for the past two years and says that one of her goals is to be on Broadway. 

After high school, Kelly plans on attending college for commercial dance with a minor in business to reach her goal of becoming a professional dancer. 

Kelly has many memories from GNA, including everyday things like going to classes and seeing her teachers and classmates. More notably, her fondest memories include pep rallies, football games, and school events. Kelly is very grateful for all of the friends she’s made here, and she’s going to carry those memories for years to come.

Kelly says her parents are her biggest inspiration. “They are the hardest working people I know, and they teach me to reach my goals no matter what obstacles I face.”  

Kelly is thankful for the opportunity to be a role model for other students and a leader to her classmates. 

Alexandra O’Connor (Photos by Andy)

Alexandra O’Connor is the daughter of Renee Amos and Mark O’Connor and was escorted by Bradley Higgens as part of the 2022-2023 GNA Homecoming Court. 

She was both surprised and excited to be on the homecoming court. Alexandra is thrilled to be a leader for her class and a representative of the GNA student body. She embodies school spirit and appreciates the ability to have this experience with her close friends. 

Alexandra is involved in many extracurricular activities including ice hockey, golf, and yearbook. She’s involved in GNA’s dual enrollment program at LCCC and is fascinated by astrology. After graduating high school, she plans to attend college for early childhood education. 

There are many memories from GNA that Alexandra will always cherish. She’ll particularly miss the Sans Souci Struggle football game and the Spirit Games. She enjoys these events for the school spirit involved and the community they build at GNA.

Alexandra’s mother is her biggest inspiration, and her motto of “happiness is a choice” motivates her to be the best version of herself. She uses this motivation to push herself in everything she does, try new things, and live life to the fullest. 

Makenzee Golightly (Photos by Andy)

Makenzee Golightly is the daughter of Rebecca Golightly. She was escorted by Lucas Stachowiak as part of the 2022-2023 homecoming court. 

When Makenzee found out she was on the court, she was filled with excitement and beyond thankful. She felt honored that she gets to embody school spirit and “be somebody the younger girls of GNA can look up to.” 

Living by the philosophy to make every day count, Makenzee is involved in many extracurricular activities. She’s on the field hockey team, and she’s a member of the National Honor Society. She also takes dual enrollment classes at LCCC.  She’s inspired by her mother’s work ethic and pours that into her daily life. 

After Makenzee graduates from GNA, she plans to attend LCCC for their nursing program. 

Her favorite memories at GNA are the Spirit Games and Spirit Week as a whole. “I love when everyone dresses up and comes together.” She admires the staff at GNA and holds a deep appreciation for how helpful they are. 

Makenzee is excited about homecoming because of the opportunity to have this experience with her friends and be a role model for younger children. She’s definitely going to carry this memory, as well as many others from GNA, for the rest of her life. 

Sophia Lukowski (Photos by Andy)

Sophia Lukowski is the daughter of Wendy and Ed Lukowski. She was escorted by Caleb Butczynski as part of the 2022-2023 homecoming court.

When Sophia found out she was on the court, she was elated because she was excited to be on the court with her friends.

She lives by the motto “Don’t be sorry, be better.” Her favorite memory of GNA was Mr. Carey’s “Story Day,” which she says “were very inspiring.” Being on homecoming court means a lot to her. She said, “When I was younger, I always looked up to the girls on the court and now that I myself am on the court, I’m excited to be a role model for the younger kids that may look up to me.”

Sophia is involved in many extracurricular activities. She participated in soccer, football, cross country, basketball, and track and field teams as well as being the National Honor Society president and president of the “no ACL club.”  She also does peer tutoring and is involved in the Junior Leadership program. 

After Sophia graduates, she plans on going to college. She will always remember school events like Spirit Week, Spirit Games, semis, and proms. Her friends and family motivate her in all aspects of her life.  

The homecoming court is a symbol of school pride and passion here at GNA. Congratulations to the Greater Nanticoke Area 2022-2023 Homecoming Court!