Citizens’ Voice Scholastic Superstars

Ms. Warman

Students from GNA selected to be the Citizens’ Voice Scholastic Superstars of 2022. From left to right: Alison Keener, Nico Czeck, and Kaleah Moran.

GNA CAMPUS — Students at Greater Nanticoke Area have been selected to be a part of the Citizens’ Voice Scholastic Superstars.

Seniors Nico Czeck, Alison Keener, and Kaleah Moran were named to the Citizens’ Voice Scholastic Superstars Class of 2022. They are a part of a 25-member class chosen by a panel of five judges from nominations submitted by many of the school districts in the Citizens’ Voice coverage area.

Along with students from GNA, students from around our local community had been elected as well and have shared their unique experiences with the Citizens’ Voice.

From the Citizens’ Voice: To read the full article, click here.

WILKES-BARRE — More than 100 people gathered Tuesday at the F.M. Kirby Center for the Performing Arts for an event honoring 25 Scholastic Superstars.

The Citizens’ Voice and sponsor PPL Electric Utilities hosted the annual event that recognizes outstanding high school seniors in the area. The first class was honored in 2019.

“I had a great time,” Wyoming Seminary senior Cassidy Rhodes-Aniska said. “I thought it was a great opportunity to recognize and showcase the area’s superstars if you will. The recognition was something these students kind of needed.”

Rhodes-Aniska has served as class president and student body president. She received her school’s fellowship for exemplary leadership and plans to attend the New School in New York City.

During Tuesday’s event, Rhodes-Aniska said she was proud about honors she received for a poem she wrote.

“It was basically from my own perspective about being an Asian American in the height of the pandemic and all of the hate crimes and the marginalization,” she said.

Kristen Gaydos, assistant city editor and Scholastic Superstars program coordinator for The Citizens’ Voice, hosted Tuesday’s event.

“Some of you have well-laid plans — I know we have here aspiring medical professionals, we have computer scientists, engineers, and maybe even a writer or two,” Gaydos said. “Some of you are open to the possibilities and want to see where life takes you. It’s OK to have a plan. It’s OK to not have a plan. As we all learned in the past few years of the pandemic, it’s really easy for plans to get thrown out the window.”

Wyoming Valley West senior Brandy Varner was basketball captain and is a district medalist on the track and field team.

“It was amazing, an amazing experience,” Varner said of Tuesday’s event. “I’m so thankful to be here.”

Varner said she will attend Wilkes University “on a full ride” and play on the basketball team. She plays the viola and will continue to participate in the Wilkes University Chamber Orchestra.

“I will be studying biology to become a sports medicine physician assistant,” she added.

When asked about a memorable academic moment, Wyoming Area senior Hailey Patts recalled winning two first place medals at Science Olympic events as a memorable experience.

“It was a really beautiful ceremony,” Patts said. “It felt great to be honored for my accomplishments, especially in front of so many people. It’s really cool to be recognized.”

She plans to attend the University of Scranton and study biochemistry.

“I plan to go to med school after undergrad to hopefully become a pediatrician and possibly work at the Children’s Hospital in Philadelphia,” Patts said. “I think it is a competitive field, especially for me being a woman and with all of the men in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math). It’s a male dominated field, but at the same time, it’s cool to see so many kids really get involved and pursue something that’s so hard.”

Five judges selected the Scholastic Superstars Class of 2022 — Jonathan Ference, associate provost for student success at Wilkes University; the Rev. Daniel Issing, professor and chair of the theology department at King’s College; David Rehm, vice president of academic affairs at Misericordia University; Patricia Staskiel, coordinator of student services at Penn State Wilkes-Barre; and Denise Evans, communication arts instructor at Luzerne County Community College.

To read the full article, click here.