Juggling school and work can be challenging

Being in high school is tough – but having to work while going to school is even more challenging.

Why work? Many students work because they want to be independent; we want our own money and want to be self-sufficient. The ability to buy our own things will not only make our parents proud, but it will also give us a sense of appreciation for what we have. With that being said, it is extremely difficult to juggle both school and work at the same time.

Many students my age doesn’t know how to manage their time. We have to go to school early in the morning, after school go straight to work, then go home and get stuff done there, then get ready for the same thing the next day.

Most of us want to participate in sports but can’t because we have a lot on our plate. We have to keep our grades up in order to participate in athletics but also have to focus on work, too. I know it’s a lot. We want to be independent and make others proud and show everyone we can handle all these responsibilities without a problem.

Students should find ways to balance everything without getting stressed. For example, try writing down in a planner what you need to do for the rest of the week with a reasonable time next to it, then start a new page the next week. Another thing students can do is to make sure their boss knows their availability, and learn to say no. When your boss asks if you can take on another shift when you’re not supposed to, say no. Your human – you can’t take up all these responsibilities. Only take what you can handle.

Putting too much pressure on ourselves is not a good thing. Remember, we have the rest of our lives to work. Do what you can, when you can. If you start to feel stressed, reorganize and reset.