GNA takes third place in Stock Market Challenge

Nanticoke – The Pennsylvania Council on Financial Literacy works with teachers statewide to give our students a better understanding of personal finance decision-making, to improve our children’s future and this country’s economic prosperity. Never in our lifetime, has the price of failure been too high, to ignore.

Schools across Pennsylvania competed in the Pennsylvania Council on Financial Literacy’s Stock Market Challenge, from the world leader in financial simulations, Stock-Trak. Fidelity Bank, a tremendous essential company, generously sponsored this program for Luzerne County. Weis Markets, in part, will sponsor the statewide competitions. Teams of students each managed a hypothetical investment of $100,000 in stocks, bonds, and mutual funds and made buying and trading decisions based on the stock market. The students who traded and finished the competition with the most money won.

Greater Nanticoke High School ranked third place in the high school division for the Luzerne County spring 2020 competition. The winning student is Jennifer Kurkoski. She worked under the guidance of teacher, Ryan Stetz. Mr. Stetz shared, “Nanticoke Area is very humbled to be recognized and would like to thank all those who help organize such an educational and rewarding activity.”

Fidelity Bank has built a strong history as trusted advisors to its clients, and is proud to be an active member of the community of Northeastern Pennsylvania. With 11 offices located throughout Lackawanna and Luzerne counties, Fidelity Bank offers full-service Trust & Investment Departments, a mortgage center, and an array of personal and business banking products and services. The Bank provides 24 hour, 7 day a week service to customers through branch offices, online at www.bankatfidelity.com, a mobile app and through the Customer Care Center at 1-800-388-4380.

The Pennsylvania Council on Financial Literacy’s (PennCFL) sponsored stock market competition offers players in grades 3-12 a chance to play the stock market by investing in stocks chosen from the USA markets: American, New York and NASDAQ exchanges. The competition teaches students about investing and encourages financial literacy through a totally web-based curriculum, assignments with grading, videos and more. A Budget Challenge Simulation was added in April 2020, and our online entrepreneurship programs were approved by the state in February 2020, for an August launch. Being totally web-based, beyond our normal events, has allowed us to remain strong in the pandemic. PennCFL’s mission is to provide Pennsylvania’s K-12 students with economic, personal finance, and entrepreneurship skills that elevate their standard of living, quality of life, and professional success. PennCFL sponsors web-based financial games and programs with the participation of over twenty thousand students in Pennsylvania. Also, they offer online and traditional entrepreneurship conferences and competitions with partnering colleges and universities. We showcase exceptional talent across the state, from business, education and government. We team up with a select group of forward-looking corporate partners who understand the powerful relationship between financial literacy and economic prosperity.

For additional information, please contact Alan Dakey, President at
[email protected] or Carolyn Shirk, Vice President at
[email protected] or call 570-975-5149. Visit us at PennCFL.org.