Teacher of the month: February 2020

Mr.+Stetz+is+the+second+ever+Teacher+of+the+Month%3B+he+received+the+most+votes+out+of+all+of+the+teachers+at+the+GNA+High+School.+

Mr. Stetz is the second ever “Teacher of the Month”; he received the most votes out of all of the teachers at the GNA High School.

GNA CAMPUS- The GNA Student Council’s “Teacher of the Month” award which students give to a teacher whom they feel deserves to be acknowledged for all that they do at GNA has recently been given to another teacher. Mr. Stetz was named the winning teacher for the month of February, and The GNA Insider conducted an interview with him that can be seen below.

What was your reaction when you found out that you had won the “Teacher of the Month” award?

I feel humble and grateful. The consistency of life’s blessings often dull our senses and we take our daily experiences for granted. This honor allows me to reflect on our outstanding administration, dedicated faculty, and outgoing student body that makes coming to school every day an exciting and meaningful experience.

Did you have any idea that this many students would vote for you?

With gratitude I would like to thank every student who voted for me, but in fairness this probably has less to do with me and more to do with my schedule. My daily interactions include a very large number of students starting in the morning with 11th grade homeroom, classes all day with both 9th and 12th graders, and lunch duty in the middle with 9th and 10th grade. I really get to interact with the majority of students in the high school and try to treat every one of them like it is their “Birthday” or their “First Day” here. Showing movies in class also helps. Yikes. Our students are entertaining, creative, knowledgeable and the best.

Is there anything that you would like to say in response to winning the award?

I would like to encourage everyone to continue to renew their spirit each day develop a sense of gratitude for our time together at Nanticoke. We truly have so many great things to offer. It’s better to light one candle than it is to curse the darkness. Most often teachers are asked this one question, “What do you teach?” If we aren’t careful we can give a complicated answer to a very simple question. We teach students, and here at Nanticoke it may not always be perfect, but it is like family. Finally, I would like to give a shout out to all the school district employees, support staff and para-professionals who help teachers behind the scenes and often don’t get acknowledged. Their tireless effort allows the teachers to dedicate their time during the school day to what matters most: our deserving students.