WVIA Artist of the Week: Gabriel Jenceleski and Caitlyn McHenry

WVIA

WVIA’s November 17 Artist of the Week: Caitlyn McHenry (left), Gabriel Jenceleski (right)

GNA CAMPUS– This past November, two seniors at Greater Nanticoke Area were nominated to be interviewed for WVIA’s Artist of the Week segment.

WVIA’s Artist of the Week seeks to give students from local high schools recognition for their artistic achievements as well as to feature some of their work.

Every interview is condensed into a one minute video highlighting the artist and allowing them to elaborate on the art in which they’ve pursued their passions. To show the broad nature of art and all it encompasses, two students are selected: one for performance art, and one for visual art.

The GNA Insider was glad to take a moment and speak with our nominees.

Name: Caitlyn McHenry
Grade: 12

You were recently nominated as WVIA’s Artist of the Week; what for?
I was nominated for visual arts.

How passionate do you feel about your art?
I’m very passionate about my art as I have loved drawing ever since I was young. After I joined Sue Hand’s Imagery in 7th grade, I was enabled to progress my abilities and work with new mediums such as watercolor, acrylics, pen & ink, and oils.

What inspired you to follow this artistic path? How long do you foresee art like this being in your life?
I’ve always looked up to artists on social media. I loved to see what they’re creating on YouTube and Instagram and I looked up to them a lot, heavily influencing me to follow their direction. I see art being with me throughout my whole life.

What is your favorite piece you’ve ever worked on? What’s the story behind it?
My favorite piece I’ve ever worked on is the watercolor of my dog. This piece has a special meaning to me because my sister took the picture and I love my dog.

Creativity is a uniquely human attribute; what are your thoughts on the quality?
Creativity is a vital tool in everyday life. It can aid in jobs and can drive anyone to use outlets such as visual or performing arts. These are successful channels of emotion that enrich the culture of society.

Do you feel it is important for everybody to explore their creative side? If so, how can they do so?
Definitely! You have nothing to lose and never know what you may discover about yourself. You can explore your creative side by drawing a picture that you admire. Remember that practice makes perfect!

And to end this interview on a funny note–what is your least favorite piece, and why?
I drew a picture of Zayn Malik for my friend, Meg Duda. It was so cringey, because it resembled him but he looked very off and chubbier.

Name: Gabe Jenceleski
Grade: 12

I have, I suppose, exemplified a student who is passionate about music studies and about the work that I play and sing, although I chose to sing.

How passionate do you feel about theatre and singing?
I’ve tried to be involved in drama each year in high school, being blessed to be given roles that allow me to showcase my talent and commitment full scale. Obviously, I want to try and take this on as a career in my life as I’m trying to pursue teaching music or performing on stage.

My inspiration probably comes down to the fact that it’s been nothing less than a perfect release of emotions and creativity for me. This kind of safe space I think is important to continue in my life, whether for myself or to introduce to someone else.

Probably my concerto series for instrumental auditions in college on trumpet. These older, more literature-based pieces are very challenging but satisfying when they are played and performed well. I’ve mainly chosen these pieces based on their difficult but subtlety unique attributes.

I think having a very open mind or creative background will help boost your own interpretations of pieces you perform and teach. It also helps because, well, it’s art, and art is subjective. That requires some level of creativity.

Oh, absolutely. It’s very crucial to have a good grasp of your own outlets as it can be a great de-stressor or method of work. Exploring and honing this talent, so to speak, is easy. Just find what you can naturally do without becoming stressed or upset.

Haydn’s Trumpet concerto. That piece and I are never going to be friends – for personal reasons.

For more information, visit here.