Keeping kindness alive – Ms. Hyder

Ms. Amber Hyder is a spirited and cheerful individual who serves as a positive influence to all GNA students.

GNA CAMPUS- Teachers at GNA want to spread cheer and kindness throughout the school because they are aware that there is a surplus of negativity in the world. In particular, Ms. Amber Hyder is a teacher who students consider to be a role model due to her joyous nature and desire to make the classroom a better place for all.

Below is an interview that she agreed to do with The GNA Insider in hopes of increasing the number of people who are kind and willing to help others:

What are some acts of kindness that you encourage your students to carry out?

I just ask them to do things they’d like done for them: hold the doors for people, say “hello” to their teachers as they walk into class, pick up trash in the hallway or cafeteria, do things for their parents without being asked, put their phones down and listen to people, be polite and respectful to others, and give to charity if they can. I also encourage them to be kind to themselves, because that’s sometimes the hardest thing to do! 

What drives you to motivate your students to be nice to others?

I think the world is becoming meaner due to social media–don’t get me wrong, I use it and love it as a way to communicate with family, friends, and former students–but it’s teaching people they don’t have to have communication skills, and that they can say anything they want, to whomever they want, with no repercussions. It seems like being nice to people is not cool anymore, and I think that’s really horrible. If we’re all just kind to one another, the world would be a better place, and we’d all feel less stressed. To me, it’s really difficult to be nasty–it’s so much easier to be nice. I hope that if I encourage it more, at least in my classroom, it will have a trickle effect and carry on outside my door. 

Why do you think people should be kind?

What if we lived in a world where people were actually nice to one another as a norm, not just sometimes? We’d all be so much happier. I think that’s the way it’s meant to be, and I think that’s the way we should live. 

Are you involved in any organizations outside of school? 

I’m not, but I do charitable things personally when I can. 

If you could solve one world issue, which would you choose and why?

Homelessness. I feel that we have far too much money and way too many resources for anyone to live on the streets. I have a friend who is a heroin addict who has been homeless for years because of her addiction, and it bothers me every day. Disabled veterans on the streets absolutely sickens me, and there is absolutely no reason in the world we should have children on the streets, in my opinion. There has to be a place for everyone.