Walt Disney

Kevin Welch once said, “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” Walt Disney has made the little dash count and his legacy is still being lived.

Walter Elias “Walt” Disney was born in the city of Chicago, Illinois in 1901. Disney was a cartoonist for his high school newspaper before dropping out of school at 16 in an attempt to join the army. Due to being underage Disney, was rejected from the army. Disney then became a cartoonist for newspapers in 1919. In 1921, Walt Disney opened Laugh-O-grams studios and created Alice in Cartoonland animations. Walt Disney co-founded The Walt Disney Company in 1923.

Disney married Lillian Bounds on July 13, 1925.  Shortly after Disney started working on his animations in 1927, creating Oswald the Lucky Rabbit and selling each short for $1,500, Walt Disney and his group of animators came up with the production of Steamboat Willie, in 1928, starring Mickey Mouse. Mickey Mouse’s name was originally supposed to be Mortimer Mouse. From 1929 to 1939, Mickey Mouse and his friends, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, Pluto, and got a new adventure in a show called Silly Symphonies.

In 1933, Walt Disney welcomed a healthy baby girl whose name was Diane and three short years later another healthy baby girl named Sharon.

Walt Disney Animation Studios was opened in Burbank California in 1935. Disney and his company made Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, during the Great Depression, in 1937, winning eight Oscars overall. This full-length film is what started the Disney filming industry that creates the Disney films we all love.

Walt was one of the leading members in an anti-communist organization, created in 1944, called Motion Picture Alliance for the Preservation of American Ideas, but distanced himself from the movement in the 1950s.

Disney was one of the first to use the television as an entertainment medium to promote the theme park with shows such as Zorro and Davy Crockett, Mickey Mouse Club, and Walt Disney’s Wonderful World of Colors. The park he was promoting was none other than Disneyland in Anaheim California opening on July 17, 1953. In 1965, Walt Disney World in Orlando Florida opened.

Although Disney had a huge success with Disney company, he became ill with lung cancer and passed away at the age of 65 years old on December 15, 1966. Disney left a legacy behind and big shoes for his company to fill by winning 22 Academy awards during his lifetime and making such a huge impact on American history and the people.

Information received from biography.com