Student Council

The GNA Student Council is a student run organization that represents every student from 8th to 12th grade.  Student Council provides students with opportunities to develop leadership skills. It involves students in school activities and service projects.

Being a part of Student Council can bring its members a sense of pride by involving them in activities within the school and local community.

The GNA Insider had the opportunity to interview the 2017-2018 Student Council officers.

President: Brandon Murtha 

What are your exrtacurricular activities at GNA? 

I have been involved in Student Council and Interact Club since eighth grade. Outside of school, I have a part time job and own my own pastre business.

What are your plans for the school year as being the president?

I plan on doing several events and fundraisers this year. Some will be for our school and others will be for our community. 

What made you run for Student Council president?

I was an officer the last two school years and I did not like what was going on. Nobody wanted to do anything so I decided to run for president my senior year to try to bring back some of the fun things Student Council did in the past. 

How do you think being involved in the Student Council experience will help you after high school?

Student Council has helped me develop leadership skills that will be very useful later on in life. 

What are your plans after high school? Do you plan on going to college and if so, would you join the student government? 

I plan on going to college for Early Childhood/Elementary Education. I would love to be involved in Student Government and help lead my college in a positive direction.

What is your message to fellow peers that might be thinking about joining?

If you are thinking of joining Student Council, please do. We always need people to help with our events. You can get service hours for volunteering and be involved in the happenings at GNA. 

Vice President: Carlos Castillo

What are your extracurricular activities at GNA?

I am a junior volunteer at Geisinger Wyoming Valley Hospital, Student Council vice president, and am involved in the Pennsylvania Junior Academy of Science. I am also a member of Science Olympiad and varsity volleyball. 

What are your plans for the school year as being the vice president?

My plans are to organize and create as many events as possible so our school could come together in unison. 

What made you run for Student Council vice president?

In the past our Student Council has not worked to their full potential. This caught my attention and I pushed myself to change that.

Being apart of Student Council will help me in the future because it will help with my time management and  will help me develop a work ethic to get any job accomplished. 

My plans after high school are to attend King’s College for the physicians assistant program. I would join student government because it makes you a well-rounded individual. 

Secretary: Megen Banas

I participate in marching band (co-drum major), concert band, National Honor society, Spanish honor society, and PJAS. 

What are your plans for the school year as being the Secretary?

I want the students at the school to be more involved in activities and make the 2017-2018 school year enjoyable. 

What made you run for Student Council Secretary?

I wanted to be involved in more activities around the school and be a part of making those activities happen.

I think it will help me become more of a leader. 

After high school, I plan on attending college to become a registered nurse. I would be interested in joining student government at the college I end up attending. 

Treasurer: E.J. Gill

I am a member of the GNA Players and a member of the national honor society, which I have become very fond of overtime. French club, football, track and field are many other activities that I am involved in. Outside of school, I attend Upward Bound  every Thursday night and Junior Leadership.

What are your plans for the school as being the Treasurer?

My plans as being the Treasurer of the Student Council are to successfully fund raise enough to provide our school with many entertaining activities. I would also like to budget and coordinate funds for our upcoming events. 

What made you run for Student Council Treasurer?

I simply wanted to make an impact in my school. 

I believe that the Student Council experience will help me after high school by helping me learn to work with friends and people. 

I do plan to attend college and major in political science and I would have a great interest in Student Government. 

Historian: Dawson Hughes

My extracurricular activities that I partake in at GNA are Student Council, National Honor Society, and I play football during the summer and fall, and I do Track and Field during the spring. 

What are your plans for the school year as being the Historian?

For this school year I plan on helping the Student Council by hosting and participating in school events to better ensure a year full of activities. I also will be in charge of recording all of the things we do by taking pictures and keeping the dates all in a planner. 

What made you run for Student Council Historian?

I wanted to run for Student Council so I could help make my last year, and everyone else’s year of school exciting and enjoyable.

By being involved in Student Council, I have learned many important qualities that I have to have to be in such a position. I have learned how to plan events, how to be a good listener, how to be a good leader, and also how to manage my time better. 

After high school, I plan on going to college and majoring in a specialization of business like finance or marketing. I would most likely take part in the student government if I am given the chance to.