Mayor Wiaterowski remembered for his hardwork, dedication, and service to the community

Ej Gill, Student Writer

Nanticoke Mayor Rich Wiaterowski passed away on Sunday at the age of 45 after going through a long battle with lukemia.  Wiaterowski was a strong advocate for our school community and went above and beyond expectations. Accroding to the Citizens’ Voice, “He received a bone marrow transplant in February and in May he said tests showed he was cancer-free, but he suffered a recurrence in July.”

Even until the very end, Mayor Wiaterowksi was thinking about the people of Nanticoke. The mayor would have surely attented the Nanticoke Christmas Parade, but sadly he passed away that morning.

Mayor Wiaterowski left behind his wife, Wendy Wiaterowski, and their children.

According the family friends, Mr. Wiaterowski stayed active up until the very end. He was a beacon of joy for so many people.

“He was a great man that supported his community every way he could,” said Nate Kreitzer, a senior and a family friend of the Wiaterowski’s.

“Mr. Wiaterowski was always trying to make people smile,” stated Kelsi O’Connor, a senior who was close with him. “He always knew how to cheer anyone up. He knew exactly what to do. It’s going to be hard not having his charismatic energy around.”

A public viewing for the late Mayor Rich Wiaterowski will be held in the high school auditorium from 5pm to 9pm this Friday (Today, December 14.)