Early graduates

Early graduates

This year, there will be two additions to the graduating class due to their academic excellence. Sarah Adkins and Emily Ehrensperger have completed all of the high school credits required in their junior year, giving them the opportunity to excel and join the Class of 2017. These girls have contributed countless hours and have dedicated themselves to their education and should act as role models to the underclassmen.

Both Emily and Sarah have been able to balance large amounts of work and numerous extracurricular activities throughout the years. Together, they have been members of the gifted program since 1st grade, were involved in chorus since 4th grade and the Marching, Jazz, and Concert Bands since 7th grade. As soon as they were eligible, both were inducted as members of the National Honor Society.

Sarah took advantage of our school’s dual enrollment program, which allows students in grades 11 and 12 to attend college part time as well as high school, and was able to get a head start on her college credits.  Meanwhile, Emily took night courses at King’s College. “I honestly never thought I would be able to graduate a whole year early. But, through determination, a few tears, and the coolest guidance counselors ever, I managed to pull through and achieve something I once thought impossible,” commented Sarah.

For Sarah and Emily, the last few years have been thought out with meticulous planning. In order to reach their goal, they had to carefully select and complete courses, at times taking two classes in one subject. Each had to “double up” in science and history, meaning that they would have to complete two courses in those subjects in one year. Due to their involvement in the gifted program, both girls were able to surpass reading and math class in 7th grade, already setting them up to be a year ahead.

All of the hard work, time, and sacrifice has prepared the girls for an exciting new chapter in their lives. Sarah Adkins will attend Hampshire College in Amherst, Massachusetts and study Sociology. Emily Ehrensperger will attend Smith College in Northampton, Massachusetts and study Political Science. Emily also plans to continue studying piano throughout her college.

The academic choices that you make in high school will affect your life in later years, as Sarah and Emily both know. Therefore, they offered advice to the underclassmen who seek success. “Take the best academic path for you and put in as much hard work as is necessary to achieve that goal. Whether that’s graduating early, doing dual enrollment, enlisting in the military, etc., what is best for you and commit yourself to getting there,” recommended Emily. “Sweet mother of God, turn in assignments when they are due! Write your essays on time and turn in applications and forms early. Early action can increase acceptance rate! Also, prestigious colleges are not necessarily colleges that are best for you. Look at colleges that best suit your needs, wants, and interests. Remember, schools exist outside the state! Explore all of your options,” Sarah playfully added.

Graduating early is an act that is seldom achieved. Many try and fail. Some, simply cannot handle the workload while others can’t handle the academics. Sarah Adkins and Emily Ehrensperger have done it. How? To paraphrase Robert Frost, “Two roads diverged in a wood, and they took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.”