Highest scoring students on the Pennsylvania Keystone Exam at GNA

Kateri Ostrazeiski, Sean Wolfe, Nico Czeck

The Pennsylvania Keystone Exams are end-of-course assessments which are designed to assess student proficiency in three high school subject areas: biology, algebra, and literature. Starting from the class of 2020 and beyond, students will need to show that they have scored “proficient” or “advanced” in these subjects in order to obtain their high school diplomas.

The GNA Insider has the names of the highest scorers in each Keystone-tested subject. For algebra, the top scorer is Nico Czeck, a 9th grader; for biology, Sean Wolfe and Kateri Ostrazeiski, both in grade 11. The latter is also the top scorer in literature.

The GNA Insider had the privilege to sit down and interview these students and obtain their opinions about the Keystone Exams.

Nico Czeck

How does it feel to have the top score on the Algebra Keystone Exam at GNA?

I’m just happy to know that I did my best and my hard work paid off.

Do you feel the Keystone Exams should continue to be tested, and if so, should they be a requirement?

Yes, they are good practice for tests like the SAT.

Do you feel as though the Keystone Exams accurately tests you on your skills in these subjects?

I was just doing my best to answer the questions and stay focused, not analyzing the test. This possibly could have contributed to my score.

What is your advice to students who have to take the Keystone Exams?

Pay attention in class, work hard, and remember it’s just a test.

Sean Wolfe

How does it feel to have the top score on the Biology Keystone Exam at GNA?

It feels pretty good to know I have the top score.

Do you feel the Keystone Exams should continue to be tested, and if so, should they be a requirement?

I feel that the Keystone Exams should continue to be tested, but seeing as they have many flaws they should not be required.

I do not think that the Keystones are a good test of skill on these subjects.

Don’t stress yourself out about them! The tests are difficult, but they are over quickly.

Kateri Ostrazeiski

How does it feel to have the top score on the Biology and Literature Keystone Exams at GNA?

It feels rewarding to know hard work pays off. 

No, I feel they take away from the classes as all focus is put on the exams. There are a lot of important topics that are never discussed. I believe these exams should not be a requirement.

I feel as though there were more topics that should have been introduced on the tests as they were taught throughout the school year. Overall, the tests did have a broad range of material and I would say they were pretty accurate.

What is your advice to students who have to take the Keystone Exams?

My advice to students is to always take your work seriously, take your time, and always do your best. Believe in yourself!