• Enjoy your summer!

• Congratulations to the GNA Class of 2018!

• The last day of school for the high school is Wednesday, June 13th

Where are they now? Petrina Mushala GNA ’98

GNA Grad Petrina Mushala: Secret Serivce/Pentagon Police Officer

Petrina and Mrs. Beasely, President Bush’s dog.

The United States Secret Service is one of the most respected agencies worldwide. Today, its members fight crime on a global scale and work in proportion to state and federal law enforcement organizations. Petrina Mushala an inspiring member of the USSS and 1998 graduate at GNA, had put forth her hard work, dedication, and passion for Criminal Justice towards maintaining a role in the Secret Service. She graduated Penn State University in 2002 with a Bachelor’s of Science in Criminal Justice. She then continued on to receive a Masters in Strategic Intelligence at the American Military University. Throughout her life, Petrina has had many significant jobs, none being more important than raising her four year old son, Jermiah. Other than being a mother, she has held the position of a Correctional Officer at Cumberland County Prison from 2002-2003, obtained her civil servant status in the United States Secret Service from 2003-2007, and upheld the same deputy stature for the Pentagon Police in 2007 to this present day.

Petrina with two White House Residence staff.

Consequent to engaging her duties at the Cumberland County Prison directly from college, Petrina’s work consisted of enforcing the rules and regulations of inmates, supervising activities, tracking location, monitoring behavior, inspecting cells, recording equipment, and maintaining daily logs. She was assigned to outposts in the central control room, as well as being under the authority of the perimeter security, transportation, and prisoner intake. Considering the amount of elaborate work she has put in for her duties, her Sergeant had encouraged her to settle for a more intricate job that had a larger variety in positions.

Taking the advice of her Sergeant, Petrina applied for additional federal Criminal Justice jobs directed her to a higher ranking. Because of her work ethic and skill, she was accepted as an applicant and positioned in the United States Secret Service. After intricate and exhausting mental and physical training in Mexico and Maryland lasting a total of 25 weeks, she was assigned to patrol the outer perimeter of the White House. a few months later, Petrina was given the unique responsibility of guarding President Bush, Vice President Cheney, and other board member candidates and nominees. On account of this assignment, she traveled to and visited 23 of the 50 states in which she provided on-site security. As a United States Secret Service Uniform Division Officer, Petrina protected the President and Vice President, and defended the White House and its residents, the Vice President’s Residence, Foreign Missions, and other buildings in Washington, D.C. Her duties at these stations were to prevent trespassing and vandalism by monitoring and operating communications equipment, alarm systems, and access gates, and to identify threatening suspects in criminal investigations,

Supplementing industry locations for Petrina included working on site security for the 2004 Republican National Convention in New York City, 2005 Presidential Inaugural parade route, and the 2006 Bratislava, Slovakia Presidential visit at the Slovak National Theatre. She continued working as a member of the Presidential security detail and followed her endeavor at every located visit. Specifically, for President Bush, Petrina performed synonymous duties for the 13th Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Leaders’ meetings in Busan, South Korea, and for the historical presidential visit to Mongolia. She had provided security at “multiple locations in the New York City area in conjunction to the United Nations Assembly for dignitaries such as England’s Prime Minister Tony Blair, former Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, and Azali Assimani, the President of Comoros.”