Blast from the past: Ms. Hyder prompts students to explore and revive events from 1692

Back to Article
Back to Article

Madelyn Bugdonovitch, Student Writer

“Extra! Extra! Read all about it! There is mass chaos in Salem Village!”

The students in Ms. Hyder’s Honors English classes are attempting to revive the past in writing and developing their own historical based newspapers. Each student will prepare one newspaper article from the perspective of a towns person in Salem in 1692. Their articles are required to reflect actual dates, people, and events at the time of the Salem Witch Trials. This thought provoking assignment is prompting students to think outside the box and use their imaginations to their fullest potential to relive and account the happenings and chaos at the time.

The students have been broken up into two groups within each Honors class period. Each group will respectively compile their individual articles to form a newspaper of their own design. This assignment will help students of the honors classes hone in on their teamwork, research, creativity and grammatical skills.

Once all of the newspapers are finished, their content, display, presentation and accuracy will be judged by Mr. Carey, the adviser of The GNA Insider. After a newspaper is selected from the submissions from the honors classes, a donut party will be scheduled as a prize for the authors of the winning paper.

Stay tuned for the publishing of the winning student newspaper.

About the Writer
Madelyn Bugdonovitch, Student Writer

My name is Madelyn Rose Bugdonovitch, and I am a senior. I am currently attending college part-time along with high school through our school's Dual Enrollment...