Spreading holiday cheer to those who serve

Mrs.Lukowski and her students showing off some cards they made. Students from the left: Bradley Benjamin, Kacey Spencer, Annaleia Rose and Tyler Neapert.

GNA CAMPUS – Mrs. Lukowski, a GNA Elementary teacher, and her students are busy this time of year. They are busy writing cards and drawing pictures for soldiers to send overseas.

The project is an annual one that Mrs. Lukowski completes with her students to benefit those who are fighting for our freedom and unable to spend the holidays with their loved ones. The goal of the project is to bring a little holiday magic to soldiers by wishing them the best with some hand-written letters.

The entire Greater Nanticoke Area School District is taking part in the project and are excitedly making cards. In the high school, history teacher Mr. Litchkofski and his student teacher, Ms. Joanne Monfiletto, are having their history and law studies classes participate in the card making.

The GNA Insider spoke with Mrs. Lukowski to find out her reasoning behind the project. When asked what inspired her to create the annual project, she said, “A few years back, my class officers wanted to do a project for the community. They decided on writing letters to soldiers. I happened to walk into the Plymouth Post Office that weekend to find a bunch of envelopes with the names of soldiers on it. I took fifteen to start with. It just turned out that the parents of Gabriel Olexy, a student at GNA, was in charge of these addresses. Every year, Gabriel’s mom sends me the addresses, and I continue the project.”

Mrs. Lukowski has been sending out cards to troops since 2014. It started out by just including her two classrooms but quickly expanded. Last year was the first time that the entire district participated. For the 2018-2019 school year, GNA sent out around 600 letters to soldiers.

According to Mrs. Lukowski, her students enjoy writing these cards for the soldiers because they realize it is for a good cause. “Spreading some holiday cheer makes them happy. Some of the students really get into the project and also draw pictures to go with their letters. I love the drawings and coloring that we receive from the little kids as well as the letters and cards from the high school. I have students who will continue to write more than one letter until it is time to send them.”

This project will undoubtedly continue for many years to come. As long as the addresses are provided, cards will be made and sent.

Everyone deserves to feel a little joy during the holidays, especially those who are fighting to protect us.