• Megen Banas will be attending Misericordia University in Dallas, Pennsylvania.

• Taylor Zabrenski will be attending Wilkes University in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania.

• Brandon Murtha will be attending LCCC in Nanticoke, Pennsylvania.

• Hunter Yale will be attending LCCC in Nanticoke, Pennsylvania.

• Codi Hornlein will be attending Misericordia University in Dallas, Pennsylvania.

• Megan Murphy will be attending Misericordia University in Dallas, Pennsylvania.

• Katie Butczynski will be attending Misericordia University in Dallas, Pennsylvania.

• Miranda Bohn will be attending Misericordia University in Dallas, Pennsylvania.

• Aaron Miller was accepted to Emerson College in Boston, Massachusetts.

• Brandon Karavitch will be attending Tufts University in Boston, Massachusetts.

Coal in your stocking? It may have come from Nanticoke

Elias Miller, Student Writer

Have you ever awoken on Christmas morning with coal in your stocking? Well, there is a good chance that the coal came from your backyard. That’s right! Right here in Nanticoke, Pennsylvania.

Years ago, in the Hanover Section of Nanticoke, there used to be Breaker #7. In 1892, it had a production of 1,600,000 tons of coal per year! By the end of 1916, then known as Auchincloss, Bliss, and Tresdale, collieries produced 1,689,910 tons on average of 542 tons per hour. The majority of the workers were Lithuanian, Polish and Russian immigrants, who lived in company homes.

This coal was very unique to Pennsylvania as it was “hard coal.” It had better heating qualities and fewer disadvantages and by-products. When used, it was very hard to ignite but burned longer than other coal. It required a grate to prevent the ash mixing in with the burning coal.

At one time, Nanticoke was a booming mine town. Perhaps the stories your parents told you about receiving coal in their stocking was actually right from their backyard. If you’re naughty this year, you may get some coal that came from your own backyard.