Student teachers (Mr. Manganaro & Ms. Mercadante)

Teachers inspire students to strive to become the best they possibly can. They push you to do things that you would have never expected to do and they bring out the best in your personality. Teachers are the basis of society and learning.

This year, two student teachers are helping and learning with our history department. Ms. Mercadante is currently working with Mr. Stets and Mr. Manganaro was working with Mr. Zubritski in the first half of his student teaching and is now working with Ms. Muench to finish off his learning. Both of them have always held education to a high standard and are striving to become the best teachers they can.

Mr. Manganaro

What interested you in becoming a teacher?

The ability to help and inspire young minds to keep striving forward and upward.

What subject(s) are you interested in teaching?

History – U.S. 1-2

STEM – Engineering, CAD (computer-aided design), Computer Science

Where did you attend High School and do you view education differently now than you did when you were a student?

I attended school at Horseheads Senior High School and during my time there I found education to be important. So important that from kindergarden to my senior year I had perfect attendance.

Is teaching what you expected it to be?

Yes, and no; Yes because I know it would offer me the opportunity to help students gain a far greater understanding of information. Not just using what is learned in my content but skills to use outside the classroom.

Has anyone in your life (teachers, family, friends) inspired you to become a teacher or did you push yourself towards it?

My mentor and special education teacher, (Yes, I was a special education student! Can you believe it?) Mr. McCarthy. Since switching from Pre-Med to education we spoke of me being a teacher. When I graduated High School we started a college panel discussion that we did every year. For special education students we did this until 2013 and in 2015, Mr. McCarthy was taken from us due to ALS.

Who are you a student teacher for?

I started the year with Mr. Zubritski and now for my last half of student teaching I am with Ms. Muench.

Ms. Mercadante

I grew up in a single-parent home so while my mom was at work I would help my sisters with their homework. My youngest sister has dyslexia so I was the only one who would work with her because she would get frustrated very quickly. She had a hard time with spelling in particular so I helped her by breaking down the word by syllables and putting it to a cheer because that is what she was interested in. Seeing her smile when she passed her tests and realize that she could do it made me realize that teaching and helping students succeed is what I want to do in life.

Social Studies

I attended E.L. Meyers Jr/Sr H.S. As a highschool student I wasn’t aware of all of the “behind the scenes” work that goes into lesson planning.

Is teaching what you expected it to be?

When I was younger I always thought I was going to be a nurse. However, as I got older I realized it wasn’t the field I wanted to be in and that teaching is what I love to do.

My 8th grade social studies teacher, Ms. Ulieny, sparked my interest in history and my grandfather would take me to places such as Gettysburg. The decision to become a teacher happened after talking with Ms. Ulieny about it. My family is mainly working in the medical field so they did not influence my decision.

Who are you a student teacher for?

I am studying to become a teacher at Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania.