What high school is actually about

Throughout my thirteen years spent at GNA, I have learned a great deal of what high school is actually about, and what it does to shape you into the adult that you’ll become. As a senior entering my final month of school, I am able to look back on things with a fresh perspective. High school isn’t about all the drama that you had with your “friends,” the petty fights, or mountains of homework. What high school is actually about is learning how to handle responsibility, realizing who your real friends are, and coming into your own as an individual.

High school is a time in our lives where we are constantly doing something, whether it’s homework, going to a practice,or going to a club meeting. All of these things help us manage our time, and instill a sense of structure and responsibility within us; all of which will be useful once we graduate and start our first year of college, or enter the workforce. So next time your teacher gives you an assignment, know that it’s not a punishment, but beneficial to you as a student.

The majority of our class has grown up together, which means we all know everyone, one way or another. However; once we reach our senior year, we begin to quickly realize who our real friends are, and who aren’t. High school becomes less about, “Why don’t they like me?” and more about, “Why do I care?” As the graduation date grows closer, you see more clearly who’s really there for you and the drama from the past four years suddenly means absolutely nothing.

We might not know it, but our high school experience is a big part of what makes us who we are. Our teachers, our friends, and our activities all play a big part in what makes us, us. High school allows us to see which “groups” we fit into, and what hobbies that we enjoy. It allows us to learn from our teachers, and develop our own work ethics. It even shows us our values and beliefs, and teaches us to stand up for them.

It’s easy for many people to get wrapped up in the stereotypical drama of high school, but if you take a step back, you could get so much more out of your experience. Not only can you make lifelong friends, but you can learn about the person you are, which will help you become the person who you wish. High school doesn’t last forever, so enjoy it while it lasts and don’t take the experience you had at face value.