Technology in the classroom

Greater Nanticoke Area stepped up their technology game in the 2016-2017 school year with Google Drive. Students were introduced to this new system within the first few weeks of school, each student acquiring a new school Gmail. This email is used to log in to all of Google’s features including Google Drive, Google Docs, Google Slides, and Google Classroom, a teacher and student favorite. These programs enable students and teachers to share ideas, conversations, and assignments over the internet, making it easier for everyone.

Google describes Google Classroom as “a free suite of productivity tools that includes email, documents, and storage. Classroom was designed collaboratively with teachers to help them save time, keep classes organized, and improve communication with students,” and they’re not wrong! Google Classroom allows students to “join” classes using a code given to them by their teachers and submit assignments and work with the click of a button. From essays to presentations, students are able to turn in assignments of all sorts to their teachers while utilizing these programs. Unlike Microsoft Word, students can “share” files with their teachers and classmates, letting them edit and look at their work. Using this feature, teachers can spy on their student’s work to watch them progress and learn as they teach while simultaneously helping the students who are struggling.

From a student’s perspective, Google Drive is undoubtedly one of the most efficient systems used at GNA. Google Drive saves automatically after every change made on a document, and others can access your work using a link. It diminishes the need for a flash drive because of its easy accessibility. Google Docs, another favorite program, provides formats for students and teachers to use. These formats include APA, MLA, letters, resumes, newsletters, and brochures. These formats teach students how to set up essays correctly and cite information while saving time. Not only will students need these formats for high school essays, but they will use these formats throughout college and other educational programs. Overall, Google Drive provides students and teachers with an outlet to hand in assignments, create slideshows, and further their knowledge of formatting and technology.