• Megen Banas will be attending Misericordia University in Dallas, Pennsylvania.

• Taylor Zabrenski will be attending Wilkes University in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania.

• Brandon Murtha will be attending LCCC in Nanticoke, Pennsylvania.

• Hunter Yale will be attending LCCC in Nanticoke, Pennsylvania.

• Codi Hornlein will be attending Misericordia University in Dallas, Pennsylvania.

• Megan Murphy will be attending Misericordia University in Dallas, Pennsylvania.

• Katie Butczynski will be attending Misericordia University in Dallas, Pennsylvania.

• Miranda Bohn will be attending Misericordia University in Dallas, Pennsylvania.

• Aaron Miller was accepted to Emerson College in Boston, Massachusetts.

• Brandon Karavitch will be attending Tufts University in Boston, Massachusetts.

Where are they now? Gerald Mullery GNA ’88

Gerald Mullery

From the Citizen's Voice

From the Citizen's Voice

From the Citizen's Voice

Representative Gerald Mullery is a 1988 graduate of Greater Nanticoke Area High School. He currently serves as a Congressmen for the 119th district.

After practicing law for twelve years, Mullery made the transition into public office. His children inspired him to enter into politics. “I didn’t like the direction the state was going. I thought we were making too many cuts to education and there was not going to be any quality jobs left for them.” In addition to his passion for education and job growth, Mullery serves on three committees which are associated with issues close to his heart: Game and Fish, Veterans Affairs, and Health.

Representative Mullery accredits his success to his teachers whom he describes as “encouraging and always saying you could accomplish whatever you put your mind to.” Out of all of his teachers his favorite was Mr. James Carey: “He made class very interesting and we had a Notre Dame bond” His favorite class was gym, and he was an active participant in baseball, football, and wrestling. His extracurricular activities, however, went beyond athletics. Mullery was a member of the French club, a class representative, a writer for the Trojan Tribune, and a leader of the GNA Jungle (which was established by his class).

Representative Mullery shared many fond memories of is high school career. One aspect of high school that he took tremendous pride in was overcoming the negativity associated with the area. “It was always Nanticoke vs the world mentality.” While attending GNA, Mullery met and fell in love with his current wife. Their first date was at GNA’s junior prom and eventually went on to become the class couple. Today they have four children.

Gerald Mullery serves his community as a volunteer as a youth sports sport coach, a member of the Knights of Columbus AOH and NTCO. Being in office for four years gives him a good understanding of what the community wants and needs. He understands that when in Harrisburg casting votes, he has the best interest of the 119th district in mind and has the confidence that the community has faith and trust in him. Mullery finds it important for students to get involved in politics because “it’s your future and your soon to be adult life.”

A law that Representative Mullery would want to change would be to eliminate school property tax. He wants to have an effect on education and businesses in this area as well as homes being affordable for everyone. Mullery’s proudest accomplishment in office is constituent’s service; he has the busiest office in the state and is very proud of that.

Even though he has been a State Representative for four years he hasn’t met President Obama. Last year when our President came to Scranton he had the opportunity to meet with him and get a photo opt but he had already pre-scheduled plans with his family. Mullery’s all-time favorite politicians is Bill Clinton because it seems that “every time he is talking it was like he was talking to you. Times were good and it seemed that everybody was thriving under Clinton.” Mullery doesn’t see himself going further in politics; after his run as State Representative he will return to practicing law.

Representative Mullery’s advice to students: “I know it’s hard as a teenager to decide what you want to do, but when that time comes, make sure it is something you can see yourself enjoying and then attack it with vigor; you will not only be a success, but you will be happy as well.”