College prep advice

Preparing for college starts earlier than most people think. Mr. Hischak, a guidance counselor here at GNA, explained that students who plan on attending college after high school need to start preparing their freshmen year. He also elaborated on the many different things colleges look at when determining a student’s admission requirements. An important part of preparing for college is choosing a major and career path. There are some aspects that high school students tend to overlook:

Choose your classes wisely.

The classes that you choose in high school are important. You have to plan your classes around what you want to pursue as a career. For example, if you wanted to go into the medical field after high school, you should take certain math and science courses. It is important to know what you want to study so you can get a jump start on those topics now in high school. If you are not sure what you want to do just yet, don’t panic, just broaden your course choices. Who knows, you might find something that really interests you. 

Keep your grades up.

People with higher grades are more likely to be accepted into their college of choice. 

Get involved.

Colleges don’t only look at your grades, they also look at your extra-curricular activities. Sports, community service,and other extra-curricular undertakings look respectable on college applications. 

Take the SAT/ACT exams.

Students have multiple chances to the SAT and ACT state standardized tests. The SAT test is an aptitude test. The ACT test is more of an achievement test, measuring what the students has learned in school. Choose the ones that suit you and the needs of the college you plan on attending. Take them as many time as you can. Don’t wait until the spring of your senior year to sign up for the exam. For practice, take the PSATs in your sophomore and junior years. These scores are one of the most important aspects that colleges look at for admission.

Apply for scholarships.

Colleges can be expensive and everyone can use a little help, right? Scholarships are a great way to take some of the burden off of college expenses. Scholarships are defined as free money based on matching certain criteria or qualifications. They are not based on grade point average (GPA) alone. There are scholarships for just about everything. Apply for all that you can.

A Note from Our Councilors

There are many different aspects in preparing for college that students tend to overlook. College preparations begin early as your freshmen year of high school. These include choosing the right classes, keeping your grades up, getting involved, taking the SAT/ACT exams, and applying for scholarships. Good luck on your future endeavors. 

Prestigious Colleges and Universities of GNA Graduates:

Bucknell University                     Harvard University

New York University                   United States Naval Academy

Carnegie Mellon University       Princeton University

Johns Hopkins                              West Point

Cornell University                         Boston College

Dartmouth College                        University of Notre Dame

Yale University                               Stanford University